Skip to main content
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Visas to Nicaragua for citizens of Canada


According to our records visa is NOT required. Please contact our office for the latest visa requirements and fees.

Important Notes

For NON-CANADIAN passport holders, document checklist can be requested directly through our visa specialists.

NOTE: Visa-free stay period may depend on your citizenship.

NOTE: Visa requirements may vary for holders of diplomatic passports.

Entry requirements for CANADIAN passport holders:

  • Canadians must present a passport to visit Nicaragua, which must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of expected departure from that country. Prior to travelling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.
  • Tourist card: Required
  • Business visa: Not required
  • Student visa: Not required
  • Canadians must be in possession of a tourist card, which is usually obtained at a port of entry for a US$10 fee, payable in cash. The tourist card allows travel within the C-4 countries (see below).
  • You must also present a return or onward ticket and evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your trip.
  • Central America-4 Border Control Agreement

Under the terms of the Central America-4 Border Control Agreement (C-4), Canadian tourists may travel within any of the C-4 countries – Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala – for a period of up to 90 days, without completing entry and exit formalities at border immigration checkpoints. This period begins at the first point of entry to any of the C-4 countries. Travellers who exceed the 90-day limit can expect to pay a fine. An extension of up to 90 days is permitted once a year. You must request this extension and pay the required fee to Immigration authorities before the initial 90 day-limit expires. The length of the extension is at the discretion of the Immigration authorities of Nicaragua.

  • Canadian-Nicaraguan dual citizens (including minors) may enter Nicaragua without a Nicaraguan passport, but require one in order to leave the country, unless their stay is less than 90 days. Children born in Nicaragua also require a Nicaraguan passport to leave. To obtain a Nicaraguan passport, dual citizens should contact the Embassy of the Republic of Nicaragua or the Ministerio de Gobernacion (in Spanish). When travelling to Canada, all dual citizens require a valid Canadian passport.
  • An airport tax of US$32 is charged upon departure; however, it is usually included in the price of airline tickets. Agents will advise at the check-in counter if you must pay the airport tax.
  • If you plan to go abroad, you should purchase the best travel insurance you can afford before you leave Canada. Your travel insurance should include health, life and disability coverage that will help you avoid large expenses, such as the cost of hospitalization or medical treatment outside Canada. If you are flying, being insured for flight cancellation, trip interruption, lost luggage and document replacement will save you from major disruptions and additional costs. If you are travelling by car, make sure you have driver and vehicle coverage in case you have an accident abroad.