Northwest Territories PNP: Business Stream
Are you looking to get your permanent residency in Canada? Do you want to bring your families to a safe, friendly community with many opportunities? Do you want to start or purchase a business in Canada? If so, we encourage you to consider the Northwest Territories!
- $300,000 CDN investment in Yellowknife
- $150,000 CDN outside of Yellowknife
- Level 4 against the Canadian Level Benchmark (CLB) in English
For employers: Nominee Program
The Northwest Territories Nominee Program is delivered in partnership between the Government of the Northwest Territories and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The Nominee Program helps:
- employers secure highly skilled individuals and newcomers to work and live in the Northwest Territories;
- strengthen the economy by attracting qualified people to fill critical labor shortages in the Northwest Territories;
- support territorial employers to fill labour shortages when there are no qualified Canadians available;
- strengthen the Northwest Territories’ ability to enhance the economic benefits of immigration to the territory;
- nominate eligible foreign nationals for permanent residency in Canada.
To participate in the Nominee Program to nominate a foreign national for permanent residency, employers need to be:
- a registered business, industry association, or a local, municipal, First Nation or territorial government in the Northwest Territories.
- registered and operational for a minimum of one (1) year.
- in good standing with the Northwest Territories’ Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission and the Northwest Territories’ Employment Standards office.
For employees: Settling in
A beautiful land of opportunity, the Northwest Territories (NWT) in northern Canada is a great place to establish yourself and safely raise your family.
There are many reasons to consider immigrating here. To begin with, there are excellent employment prospects. The Northwest Territories boasts the highest median household income in Canada, and its capital, Yellowknife, boasts the highest rate of employment in the country. The Northwest Territories welcomed 111 permanent residents to the territory in 2014. The Northwest Territories is a place where newcomers can expect to receive a friendly welcome while continuing to embrace their own traditions and practices. As a result, there are many thriving cultural communities here.
The Northwest Territories offer first-rate healthcare services, a strong education system and an abundance of recreational opportunities and events to enjoy. When you come here, services are available to help make the transition easier. Whether you need to apply for health care or open a bank account, there will be support for you.
For entrepreneurs: Start a Business in the Northwest Territories
There are a number of benefits to starting a business in the NWT and choosing the NWT Nominee Program. Applicants can expect:
- No wait-list for applications;
- Faster processing times;
- Personalized attention for your application; and
- Program staff that is there to support you throughout the entire application process.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for the Business Stream:
There is a set of minimum eligibility criteria in order to qualify for the NWT Nominee Program Business Stream. A prospective applicant must be able to commit to one of the following investments:
- a minimum of $300,000 CDN equity to start or buy a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, NWT;
- a minimum of $150,000 CDN equity to start or buy a business outside of the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, NWT.
The prospective applicant must provide proof of a personal net worth of:
- At least $500,000 CDN to start or buy a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, NWT;
- At least $250,000 CDN to start or buy a business outside the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, NWT;
- Provide to the Department of Industry, ourism and Investment a good faith deposit of $75,000 CDN once formally accepted into the Program.
The prospective applicant must also:
- Demonstrate that they own at least one-third (33.3%) of the business;
- Where your personal equity investment is at least $1,000,000 you may own less than one-third (33.3%) of the business pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations section 87(6)(b)(ii); and
- Demonstrate that they have achieved a proficiency of level 4 against the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB 4) in English or the equivalent language level against the Niveaux de competence Linguistique Canadiens (NCLC) in French.
In addition to financial means, an applicant also needs to demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
- knowledge and understanding of the NWT and its economy and which businesses will bring significant economic benefit to the Territory.
- the ability to make at least one (1) in-person business trip to the NWT to gain knowledge about the territory’s business environment;
- the necessary experience and education to successfully implement the proposed business plan; and
- A willingness to settle full-time in the NWT.
To find out more details for each of these steps, please contact us.
If you are an employer, or an employee, or a businessman, you can apply for the streams of the Northwest Territories PNP right NOW. Click the button below and let us know you are ready to change your life for the best!