For NON-CANADIAN passport holders, document checklist can be requested directly through our visa specialists.
NOTE: Visa-free stay period may depend on your citizenship.
NOTE: Visa requirements may vary for holders of diplomatic passports.
Entry requirements for CANADIAN passport holders:
- Canadians must present a valid passport to visit Costa Rica. In order to avoid unexpected delays, we recommend that your passport be valid for at least one month beyond the date of your expected departure from the country. Prior to travelling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.
- Tourist visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days
- Business visa: Required
- Student visa: Required
- If you plan to go abroad, you should purchase the best travel insurance you can afford before you leave Canada. Your travel insurance should include health, life and disability coverage that will help you avoid large expenses, such as the cost of hospitalization or medical treatment outside Canada. If you are flying, being insured for flight cancellation, trip interruption, lost luggage and document replacement will save you from major disruptions and additional costs. If you are travelling by car, make sure you have driver and vehicle coverage in case you have an accident abroad.
- In order to leave Costa Rica, the Canadian passport of a minor with dual citizenship must have Costa Rican departure approval, or the minor’s departure will be denied. Both parents must request this approval from Costa Rica’s immigration department or through the Embassy of Costa Rica in Canada prior to departure. There have been several cases of departure denials because proper documentation was lacking. Minors with dual citizenship who are travelling unaccompanied must have legally certified written consent from both parents.
- You must be in possession of a return or onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds for your stay to enter Costa Rica.
- There is a departure tax of US$29, payable by cash or credit card.