Visas to Bulgaria for citizens of Canada
For NON-CANADIAN passport holders, document checklist can be requested directly through our visa specialists.
NOTE: Visa-free stay period may depend on your citizenship.
NOTE: Visa requirements may vary for holders of diplomatic passports.
Entry requirements for CANADIAN passport holders:
- Canadians must present a passport to visit Bulgaria, which must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of expected departure from that country. Prior to traveling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.
- You must present proof of medical insurance (minimum €30,000 coverage) that is valid in the European Union (EU) and covers the costs of emergency medical care and repatriation.
- If you plan to go abroad, you should purchase the best travel insurance you can afford before you leave Canada. Your travel insurance should include health, life and disability coverage that will help you avoid large expenses, such as the cost of hospitalization or medical treatment outside Canada. If you are flying, being insured for flight cancellation, trip interruption, lost luggage and document replacement will save you from major disruptions and additional costs. If you are traveling by car, make sure you have driver and vehicle coverage in case you have an accident abroad.
- Children born to a Bulgarian parent may be considered Bulgarian citizens even if they were born in Canada and have a Canadian passport. Children under the age of 18 are only allowed to leave Bulgaria with both parents, or with the consent of both parents. The absent parent(s) must provide a statement of parental consent to travel, notarized by Bulgarian authorities, to be presented upon exiting Bulgaria. Parents of children traveling alone or with one parent are strongly encouraged to contact the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Canada before departure to ensure that their child meets the latest entry and exit requirements, which may change without notice.
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.
- Passports and passport replacing documents issued more than 10 years prior to the date of travel are not accepted.
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.