victims canada

Temporary resident permit for victims of family violence

Written by Anyvisa Services on . Posted in Immigration Blog.

The new rules took effect on July 26, 2019, in Canada. Those newcomers to Canada who are experiencing family violence can now apply for a fee-exempt temporary resident permit (TRP) that will give them legal immigration status in Canada.

The new rules apply to those who have yet to obtain PR and whose status in Canada is dependent on their abusive partner or spouse.

Under the new rules, IRCC said the intention is for victims of family violence to be assessed for a TRP as fast as possible.

As for the eligibility, IRCC says an assessment will consider such factors as the location of the victim (the foreign national has to be physically located in Canada) and the fact that the foreign national is seeking permanent residence (that is contingent on remaining in a genuine relationship in which there is abuse). If the victim is facing physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse, or is not provided with food, clothing, medical care, shelter, etc. while in Canada - that is a case for applying for TRP for victims of family violence.

If you are a victim or know someone in Canada who needs support in this delicate situation, don’t hesitate to contact us. Please, keep in mind that the TRP process for victims of family violence is not available to foreign nationals outside Canada.

Contact Anyvisa

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

409 Granville St., #1350
Vancouver, BC V6C 1T2

Appointment required

© Copyright 2023 Anyvisa Services Corp. All rights reserved.